Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Today during lunch

Olivia: There's little things in my bread!
Me: Those are seeds. They're yummy! They're what little birds eat.
(pause)
O: Can I have a coat?
M: What? A coat? (I wasn't sure I heard her right - it's Spring in Houston, and she has imperfect Rs)
O (starts crying): Over there in the closet!
M: Oh, Olivia, why do you need a coat? It's warm in here!
O: I need a coat so the birds won't eat me! (tugs at her short sleeves)
M: It's okay. There aren't any birds in here.
O: RIGHT THERE! (points out the window, where there are birds flying around in the backyard)
M: But look, they're outside, and you're inside. And birds don't eat people. They just eat seeds and worms. If I went outside with my short sleeves, the birds would see my arms and say, "What nice arms. But I don't eat people." And then they would look for some seeds. They don't eat arms.
O: But they would try...

(She finally calmed down. But she wouldn't eat the seedy bread.)

3 comments:

Brook said...

I have a movie I need Olivia to see. Its by a very nice man named Alfred.

Christa Jeanne said...

... and my first thought is, don't let her watch "The Birds" for anything!!! Keep all Tippi Hedren Barbies out of sight! (Oh yes: http://www.amazon.com/Alfred-Hitchcock-Birds-Barbie-Doll/dp/B00142V9X0)

Victoria Blanchard said...

Your kids say the funniest things!