I was an evite "maybe." However, after a fussing/screaming marathon provided by my children during the last few daylight hours, I realized that, while the "night out" was right, it would be better to decline the "s."
So, after putting Damon to bed, I left, with Steven's blessing, to go do something. By myself.
And while this may not astound anyone, I am now indisputably a Boring Mom. Because here is where I went:
1. Goodwill, to look for a stand for my new globe (fruitless)
2. Lowes, to return screw plugs that didn't fit the new bunkbeds
3. Kohl's, to look for 12M terry cloth pajamas for Damon (fruitless)
4. Culvers, to get a Turtle sundae for me (yummy)
5. HEB (grocery store), to get bananas and avocados for Damon, and look at their current $1 jewelry to see if they had anything good for Princess Carmen (fruitful, but jewelryless)
The best part was probably Culvers - it was neat to sit there BY MYSELF, without talking to anyone. I just sat and enjoyed my sundae and watched people. The busboy was perfect - a sweet, gangling teenager with a dorky hat on sandy, shaggy hair and a winsome smile showing his braces-clad teeth, working his geeky little heart out. I just wanted to give him a hug and say, "What a good boy you are. Hang in there. Don't lose the drive and optimism you have right now. Don't try to acquire the arrogance and bravado that girls think they like. Keep being you. Trust me - some day, you will make some woman very, very happy."
So, it was a good Girl Night Out after all.