Sunday, August 29, 2010

Oh, Isaiah

Sometimes I feel like I can't handle all this calling evil good and good evil.

I understand that differences in faith give people different values. I adhere absolutely to one religion, and I understand that if someone else adheres absolutely to a different one then we will disagree absolutely on some points. But I have to believe that pure honesty and earnest intent, if exercised by both parties, would keep us to a large degree on the same ground.

For my part, while I take no credit for any active virtue, I will humbly credit myself with motives that are entirely honest and pure. Even when I'm feeling rude or stinky, I inwardly recognize this - I know at those times that I am not being good, and my soul aches to repent. I recognize the honest intent for good in myself, and I feel I can sense it in other people. I think most people can. It's painfully easy to spot pride. It's painfully easy to sense confusion, unhappiness, indirectness, or underhandedness. But I think it's also beautifully easy and soothing to sense directness, altruism, and honesty. People like that, I can see eye to eye with. And between us, I feel that we will never disagree on inherent good and evil.

Some things are inherently good. Like integrity. Kindness. Compassion. Giving. Even being morally untrained, they give us a happy feeling. We feel their goodness.

Some things are inherently evil. Like dishonesty. Meanness. Cruelty. Selfishness. Even being morally untrained, they give us a yucky, uncomfortable feeling. We feel their evil.

So when I hear people calling derivatives or associates of the above-mentioned values conversely good or evil - when parties press and argue these points - I have to believe they are not being fully honest. Because I sense it, and it gives me a yucky feeling.

I just have a hard time dealing with dishonestly. And yucky feelings.

2 comments:

joyous said...

Yipes! Sounds like someone had a nasty run-in with something this week (or possibly today--I hope not). Life is tough and a lot of times the toughness is dealing with the people in life. (I hate that!) I hope you run into more honest people and happy beautiful feelings!!!

Kathy said...

I have been thinking about that term a lot lately. We are living in a time where it happens so often. We have to hold on to our convictions. We have to live by those feelings within us that tell us what is right and what is wrong. We have to keep doing our best to do what God would want us to do and not rely on the world to tell us what is right and wrong. Morals now a days are narrowminded and judgemental in the worlds eyes. In mine there are things that are right and things that are wrong and nothing will ever change that. Thanks for your thoughts.