Thursday, April 7, 2011

Hungry, Hungry Hippos

I keep meaning to mention this on here. Especially since I've entered the home stretch with this pregnancy, people have been asking what we are calling our little boy.

Hungry Hippos.

This is what Olivia christened him soon after we found out he was a boy. We thought it was a one-time answer, but she was apparently more serious than we thought, because she started telling everyone that our baby was called Hungry Hippos. And, when they laughed, she confidently replied that she thought it was a good name.

I promise that "Hungry Hippos Brown" will not appear on his birth certificate. But, for now, it's actually been very convenient to have something to call him. And, I will confirm that he does seem very hungry, and is also a bit of a hippo: on Friday I was measuring 2 weeks ahead, which validated my having felt very full of baby. I'm planning on staying pregnant all through April, at least, but I'll tell you - Hungry Hippos is running out of room.

*Also, I wanted to mention that I am not being coy with the name thing: I'm no good at keeping secrets. We really haven't decided on a name, or even narrowed it down to a chosen few. Suggestions are welcome.

6 comments:

Brook said...

What are you looking for in terms of boy names? Do you have a running theme with your girl names? (I.e., do you want something he could proudly pronounce in his clase de Espanol?) Must it be six letters long?

Julian? Martin? Victor? Xavier?

chrisashleyburton said...

There's this website that is supposed to give you names that go along with sibling names. And these are what the site came up with "Owen, Curtis, Noah, Myles, Jackson, Byron, Oliver, Elijah and Terrence" I don't know if any of those sound appealing or not but thought I'd share anyways :)

Hindmarsh Family said...

Some boy names that I like, but that did not win over the hubby (even after 4 boys):
Joshua, Justin, Nathanial, Nathan, Jackson, and Austin.
My sweet husband wanted Hiram (try that with my last name), Zedekiah, and Zeek (short for Ezekiel I suppose). No way were those names coming in to my house!
Of course, I think that Matt, Noah, Ethan, and Danny are adorable names, too! :)

Kim said...

What happened to Otto? Go to nymbler.com and type in a name you kind of like and it will suggest other names like it. Babycenter.com also has a million ways to help you find a name. (It even shows the most popular names in Spain and the Czech Republic - Alvaro, Hugo, Javier, Pablo, Jakub, Thomas, Ondrej, Vojtech, Matej, Filip...). I like Brook's suggestions. I also like James.

Julie said...

I think good boy names are hard to come up with, but then again I've never tried to name a girl. I liked the suggestion of Myles and think it would fit with Olivia and Carmen, but don't have any other ideas. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone, for the ideas. These are good suggestions.

Our main name qualifications are that it must be an established name, obviously male, obviously spelled and pronounced, more than one syllable, and not immediately nicknameable (not like, "You're name's Steven, huh? Well, hey, Steve!")

It also can't be the name of an ex-boyfriend, a pimply jerk who made fun of me in middle school, or a too-common Brown (like LeRoy or Charlie). And it can't be Harry, because Harry Brown just sounds awful.