Friday, January 27, 2012

"Fun"

There was a GNO scheduled yesterday. It sounded fun.

I was an evite "maybe." However, after a fussing/screaming marathon provided by my children during the last few daylight hours, I realized that, while the "night out" was right, it would be better to decline the "s."

So, after putting Damon to bed, I left, with Steven's blessing, to go do something. By myself.

And while this may not astound anyone, I am now indisputably a Boring Mom. Because here is where I went:

1. Goodwill, to look for a stand for my new globe (fruitless)
2. Lowes, to return screw plugs that didn't fit the new bunkbeds
3. Kohl's, to look for 12M terry cloth pajamas for Damon (fruitless)
4. Culvers, to get a Turtle sundae for me (yummy)
5. HEB (grocery store), to get bananas and avocados for Damon, and look at their current $1 jewelry to see if they had anything good for Princess Carmen (fruitful, but jewelryless)

The best part was probably Culvers - it was neat to sit there BY MYSELF, without talking to anyone. I just sat and enjoyed my sundae and watched people. The busboy was perfect - a sweet, gangling teenager with a dorky hat on sandy, shaggy hair and a winsome smile showing his braces-clad teeth, working his geeky little heart out. I just wanted to give him a hug and say, "What a good boy you are. Hang in there. Don't lose the drive and optimism you have right now. Don't try to acquire the arrogance and bravado that girls think they like. Keep being you. Trust me - some day, you will make some woman very, very happy."

So, it was a good Girl Night Out after all.

6 comments:

Victoria Blanchard said...

As much as I love GNOs, it is nice to get things done that you want to get done and to do them on your own terms and at your own pace. :)

Brook said...

I love taking myself out for ice cream! The rest of your trip sounds familiar - and I hate those trips. Makes me want to do all my shopping online. The problem with doing that is you can accidentally buy something you hate and the hassle of returning it isn't worth the effort. I think people who demonstrate good cause should get an extra number of hours in the day.

A Roper said...

I LOVE going out by myself. Or even being in a room by myself. Heck, I love going to the bathroom by myself!!! Anything for some peace and quiet!

Rachel Elaine said...

I can totally relate. When over stimulated by the noise of children, it can sometimes be hard to want to "party." Peace and quite is was a weary mom needs. Although the former certainly has it's place.

And I love people watching!
But, how it that poor boy gonna feel when he reads your description of him? ;)

So much for getting together regularly, huh. Well at least we can sporadically block stalk each other's sporadic blogs.

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

this is totally what i do every couple days. sometimes simon walks in the house, and i hand over the baby and walk right out...depending on how fed up i am with being climbed on. then i run all my errands in an hour...it's so fast when i'm alone! and i come back refreshed. like the rest of the day never happened. i feel like parties always get planned for the exact times when i could not handle being around people.

joyous said...

Amen! Sometimes it is just wonderful to go out and do some things by yourself! And I'm so glad it wasn't all just errands. :)