Sunday, June 20, 2010

Help! I'm trapped by the internet!

This evening I spent way too much time doing nothing online, so I finally decided I need something to show for it (a blog post).

Today I gave a children's Sunday School lesson about the Holy Ghost, and as an example used one of my grandfather's experiences during WWII. As I was trying to recall it (as my dad had told it to me 20 years ago), I realized that I was shady on details: how old was he when he was drafted? How long was he in the war? What did he actually do? Fortunately, the internet is a marvel, and I was able to find his obituary online, and made some cross references to find out more, but I wish I had a first-hand account.

Obviously, it's too late for that now. And the thing is, I did make it a point to talk to my grandpa about his life during the few months I lived with them after college. I'm very grateful for that. I guess I'm kicking myself for not having been more curious, not pressing more for details about everything, because now the chance is gone. For everything.

I always think no one could be interested in my personal musings and details of my day-to-day that I consider obvious or mundane. Today, I realized that my grandfather's obvious and mundane would be a treasure for me to have. I know some because I knew him, and he wrote down a lot. But not everything.

2 comments:

Victoria Blanchard said...

On your first point, I know how you feel! Regarding the recording of the mundane, I typed a 6 page document about how to care for Katie for my mother-in-law when she came to help watch her for me. A friend that later did some babysitting saw it, and she suggested I save it in her journal---I think 20 years from now it will be fun for me to remember what her needs were like when she was 10 months old. I keep a daily journal for myself, and blog monthly for Katie, and I know it's still not enough!

Christa Jeanne said...

I love how you make the point that their mundane is our treasure. So true!!! My mom's mom passed away without me recording all the stories I'd heard as a child, and now they're fuzzy. So sad. Not wanting to repeat this bummer, I'm making my dad's mom record her personal history (she refuses to write, so I'll transcribe what she records). In the same way, it's hard to get some of the cool little details because for her, it's just the norm. She was raised on a FARM with an OUTHOUSE - that's something my children will never be able to fathom! Getting those little anecdotes are priceless.