Thursday, November 17, 2011

My Little Girlies

This morning, a friend who has some older girls (who are some of our favorite babysitters) dropped off a bag of toys they'd grown out of: My Little Ponies and Polly Pockets. Immediately, and for hours today, this ensued:



It amazes me that kids don't have to be taught how to play with toys. See how the ponies are lined up? They're playing some kind of school/party/church thing. I hear them upstairs now singing "Happy Birthday" to somebody. (I was deftly evicted from the room as soon as I snapped the picture.)

Some of my fondest memories of growing up are spending hours playing with Barbies and Ponies with Brook and Crystal. We had this green shag carpet that was perfect grass, and the ponies frolicked through hours of storylines that spanned weeks - or maybe a day; time felt different then. Now, of course, I have to rack my brain to come up with bedtime stories (last night, Carmen made it easy by asking for one about when I was a little goat.) Maybe I just need to hold some Ponies in my hand to make the creative juices flow.

In any case, it makes my heart happy to see my girls entering Ponyland.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Tamsen asked me to read her a bedtime story once. I couldn't think of anything, so I picked up a Macey's ad and started reading her prices (using all the correct voices, intonation, etc. you'd expect from a story). She loved it. Maybe try that?

joyous said...

We love ponies and pet shops at our house. My middle child can really go at it for hours. It makes my heart happy!

Brook said...

Yay! I remember I always preferred My Little Ponies because I had the handsome yellow stallion who often got to be the head of the herd. Unlike Barbies, where my Ken was the one whose arms only moved like Frankenstein, and he could never get a date. Sigh.

Catherine said...

Your little girls are SO CUTE! I love that you had to think of a story about when you were a goat. I kinda wish you had posted the story, too! :)