Sunday, September 23, 2007

On success

I have two adult sisters. One of them, Brook, is a third-year law student at Harvard, and has had internships with two impressive law firms. I am proud of her.

The other, Crystal, has a BA in philosophy, but is a stay-at-home mom with a new little baby. I am proud of her, too.

This week, I realized that my being proud of my sisters really doesn’t have as much to do with their occupations as the fact that they are doing good, honorable things that they enjoy, and doing their best at it. Brook goes to law school because that’s what she wants to do, and she really likes it and is a good student. Crystal has started her family and stays home and takes care of Abby because that’s what she wants to do, and she really likes it and is a good mom.

Success, I think, is making the best decisions you can based on your situation, and then working to do your best and be happy at what you are doing.

2 comments:

Thirdmango said...

Hey, I know Brook. Huzzah.

This be Jon.

Brook said...

Jon who? I just read this, 2 months later. It makes me feel quite good.

At least someone thinks I'm a good student. :)