Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving dinner

Today I felt like a real woman.

I woke up early and prepared homemade stuffing using leftover homemade breads and all our leftover chip crumbs. I stuffed and prepared the 14-pound turkey I'd remembered to thaw in the fridge, then put it in the roaster. I followed the order of operations I'd put together the night before to make sure everything would be hot and ready on time. I'd figured out pan distribution and fridge and freezer space to make sure everything would fit. I cleaned the kitchen so cooking would be pleasant. I made pumpkin pie. When my sister-in-law came over, we cooked up the sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes and finished preparing everything. I seasoned and boiled the neck and giblets. The turkey was roasted and ready just when the remnant stuffing and sweet potatoes were finished cooking, and I strained the fat from the drippings and made gravy that turned out beautifully (and there was PLENTY). Everything was fully cooked and tasted great, and we were all too full to enjoy the pies.

After Dan and Hyde left and I'd shed a little of my turkey coma, I pried all the rest of the meat off the turkey bones and fit all the leftover food into the fridge in a way that is organized and not precariously balanced.

All without having to call my mom.

I know this is a boring blog entry, because nobody really likes to read about things that turn out uneventfully well. Oh, well. It was a good day. I'm thankful.

5 comments:

Wanders said...

Well done. Not an easy accomplishment at all! We solve the problem by mooching off our friends.

Unknown said...

My compliments! I think this is a rare feat for one so young ;)My sole responsibility was the turkey, which I cooked in a bag and it turned out fabulously. Oh, and the pie, which didn't. But it would have if I'd used sugar instead of salt.

Chulitamaya said...

It was really good and we all enjoyed it very much. Congratulations on your first thanksgiving at home!!!

Unknown said...

Hey Amber this is Heidi. I sometimes wander over here from Crystal's blog:) I just wanted to tell you I enjoy reading what you write because you actually compose complete sentences unlike so many blogs I read that seem to constantly repeat the phrases "Love them!", "Awesome", and "so fun!" I don't care if your post is about turkey cooking skills (which i am secretly jealous of). The complete sentences alone make reading it a nice break! (also congratulations on your baby!)

Emily said...

It IS quite the accomplishment, don't worry. :) I'm glad you shared it.