Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My couple crush

I am not really a sappy romantic person, so it kind of surprises me when I have sappy romantic moments - particularly because I have them most often concerning other people. I probably don't strike many people as a matchmaker, but I often think about friends who are unattached and muse about people I could or would set them up with. Don't let this frighten you - it's just because I like you and I care, and if at any time you'd like me to take a more active participation in my quest for your marital bliss, please feel free to let me know.

So, I'm not sure why I'm writing about this, but I guess it just makes me inordinately happy: My friend Douglas, who I've known for almost 10 years now, got married last year to the most wonderful person I could possibly have imagined for him. They look great together. They act great together. They make each other better and happier. After I met her for the first time, I spent the whole car ride home talking about how great she was, because it made me so happy that such a fantastic guy had found such a fantastic girl. Somehow, it seemed a confirmation of all that is good in the world. It still makes me shiver with joy just to think about it. And I hope this doesn't creep them (or anyone else) out.

6 comments:

Cherie (and sometimes Senor) said...

Aw, Amber--I'm assuming your speaking of us!? In which case, thank you so much! Made me all choked up reading it! I'm glad others are able to see how much happiness we find in our relationship. I, too, think about matching people up but am no good at it and had no successes.
P.S. I vote baby girl is going to be 7 lbs 2 oz and 19.5 in...she'll be born Feb 13 (sorry to predict a Friday the 13th baby) at approx 6:25pm yay! We can't wait to meet her as well! Let us know if you need anything, we'll be more than happy to help out in any way we can!

Unknown said...

Oooo, I hadn't thought about Friday the 13th! By coincidence, Steven is also a Friday the 13th baby. And I was born on February 15th, which was on a Sunday, just as it is this year. Hmm.

Amanda, I'm glad you commented - I thought about putting up a picture of you guys, or linking to your blog, but thought it would be presumptuous (I know there are a few people who read this who also know Douglas and would be interested to catch up). So yes, I think you guys are great.

Deanna said...

I am the exact same way Amber. I feel like it is my calling to set people up but, have had no success as of yet. I try though and always fail:( Maybe, I'll set my kids up.

Douglas said...

You're sweet Amber. That is quiet an endorsement of our marriage. I should have used you as a reference when asking for my father-in-law's blessing, "Amber Brown an esteemed columnist has written of your daughter and I..." I fully agree with your comments. And we are going on a decade of being friends, I am glad we keep living close to each other. I vote for Sunday, Feb 15 at midnight (the evening of the 14th). -Douglas

maugers said...

You're cute. I have couple crushes on old people. And I've never really set anyone up (except for dumb college set ups, just so we could get dressed up). But I would ask you to hook me up if I wasn't already attached :) I trust your judgement

Christa Jeanne said...

It's always good when you get a good friend-in-law. It makes me beyond giddy when my dear friends marry well - and especially when those people can become friends as well. The wifey of one of my best guy friends in college is now a closer friend to me than the guy is! LOVE when that happens. So, no, couple crushes aren't weird at all.