Tuesday, February 17, 2009

And the winner is...

me! Actually, all of us.

Everyone, please say hello to Carmen Anne.



I won because I got the best birthday gift ever: a quick, healthy labor and a sweet, healthy baby girl.
Kendra wins the guessing game pretty handily - she was only an ounce off of Carmen's birth weight of 7 lbs 3 oz. Douglas also got the date right, so I guess he gets second.

Sunday morning we went in to the hospital at 7:15, and she was born at 12:18 pm. I got massively drugged up (this was by accident) and slept through the whole labor, but it apparently went well.

At 19 inches, Carmen's birth length is the same as Olivia's, but she weighs a half pound more - that half pound sure makes her look chubbier. So far she's a great sleeper (6 1/2 hours straight last night!) and loves to eat and snuggle. She is very floppy and funny.

Why Carmen?
  • We both like it
  • Easy to recognize, spell, and pronounce; gender obvious
  • We like Bizet's opera
  • Like Olivia, it's Spanish - I was a missionary in Spain
  • Like Olivia, it has international flair: it comes from both Latin and Hebrew. Latin meaning: song. Hebrew meaning: garden
  • Also like Olivia, it has religious significance: it is derived from Mt. Carmel, where Elijah challenged the priests of Baal
Why Anne?
  • My step-grandmother, Anne Christenson. Anyone who knows her would understand why we would want our daughter to be like her.
  • We also have a couple of wonderful friends named Anne - oddly enough, they both married men named Simon (my grandma never did)
Sounds like my baby-free time is up. See Steven's blog for more pictures - now that I'm home (as of this afternoon) I also hope to put up some more soon.

I know this is disjointed. So many feelings. But all of them happy. We love Carmen, and we're so glad she's here.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

You slept through the labor? You can do that?

Julie said...

Amber- what a beautiful baby! I love her name and her cute hair. I hope we get to meet her sometime soon!

Deanna said...

Happy Birthday! How fun to share your birthday with Carmen. So glad it was a quick labor. Congrats!

Victoria Blanchard said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy she's here and healthy! I'll tell you, I about lost it seeing that picture of her---I can't wait for my little girl to come! (Not that I want her to come pre-term or anything, I just can't wait till it's time!) And I love the names Carmen and Anne. Very good reasons for the names too!

Cherie (and sometimes Senor) said...

YAY! congrats guys! glad everything went well and everyone's healthy and home! let us know what we can do for you...SERIOUSLY. We would love to bring dinner sometime in the next few weeks, just let us know.

Unknown said...

Aahh! Congratulations! She is beautiful.

Unknown said...

Awww...congratulations guys. She's beautiful!

lance, miss, my, & finn said...

yay!! congratulations. she is darling! 6 1/2 hours!!! wow!

maugers said...

She's beautiful!! I love a little extra rolls to hug and squeeze. And her name is gorgeous. You put so much thought into them, it's incredible. I'm glad you're OK and the labor went well. Sleep sleep sleep!! I'll bet Olivia is the sweetest big sister too. Congrats!

Petra said...

Congratulations! I fully expect her to be as brilliant and adorable as Olivia. With your (pl.) genes, how could she not be?