Monday, December 21, 2009

My Dad-in-law

Those who read my husband's blog already know this, but my wonderful father-in-law passed away unexpectedly a few weeks ago.



I don't know what to say about this. He was a great friend to me. He was so much more than that to Steven. He was a wonderful grandpa to my girls. It doesn't feel right to say this in the past tense, so I'll say that we all love him very much, and we will miss him tremendously.

We're so grateful and he and Steven's mom were able to come visit us in October (when this picture was taken). We had no idea of it being the last time we would talk during his life. In the last few weeks, I've been recollecting conversations we had during that visit - where we were and what we talked about. He had such a nice voice. He was so loving and charitable. We are both people watchers and I enjoyed sharing our observations on life. I always felt comfortable and accepted by him, and I really appreciated that, since he gave me his baby boy.

Back when we were dating, I remember Steven describing his relationship with his dad, saying, "He's just always been such a great guy." I second that.

2 comments:

maugers said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a shock to have something like that happen. I'm glad you were able to see him so recently, and that he got to meet the new little one.

Victoria Blanchard said...

What a hard thing to deal with. I hope you are able to work through your grief and still enjoy the Christmas season.