Thursday, January 7, 2010

Decorative toys

I've been meaning to post about some of my newest projects for a while.

Just before Halloween we went to a pumpkin patch where I saw some cloth pumpkins much like these:


I don't often get cuted out by crafts, but for some reason I just really loved these pumpkins, so I had to go make some the next day.

Even as much as I loved them, it wasn't until after I'd made them that I realized how perfect they were: not only were they a fun project, but they are washable, indestructible decorations! Perfect for a house with a toddler and a mobile baby.

With this in mind, I used some of the same principles and came up with my favorite holiday craft this year: stackable snowmen.



Fun to mix and match:


Fun to stack and un-stack (this picture looks kind of morbid):


Lots of character.


Olivia loves them. She snuggles them, carries them around and dances with them. She also likes to have me sing "Once there was a Snowman" while stacking and unstacking them. Carmen loves to rip them apart and chew on the arms and noses.

I'm still working on some details (they're kind of wobbly), but even now they're a favorite around here.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

That is such a great idea! I am going to have to put these in my craft file.

Ashley said...

Sometimes I come to your house just to see what you've come up with next! You're an inspiration!

maugers said...

What an awesome idea! I can't even attempt something like that due to my lack of "big picture" while sewing. BUT they're awesome, and I might waste some time trying to figure it out :) Great idea, I love how you can mix and match them!

A Roper said...

Those snowmen are SO cute! I love them!!!

Brook said...

Wow. Love the snowmen, love the pumpkins. Would love a house to put them in. :) Alice would REALLY love to chew on those fun noses.

Julie said...

What a GREAT idea! After spending the month of december telling my boys to stop touching various decorations, I am extra intrigued. Now if I could only figure out a no-sew (or little-sew) way to make them....

Kathy said...

I love the snowmen. So cute. I would love to make some of those for my kids. You'll have to let me know how you made them.

Catherine said...

I LOVE these snowmen! You are so creative. When I have kids someday, will you make them toys like these??