Sunday, October 2, 2011

Clothing the world's smallest bottom

This summer I ventured (forced by nature, chlorine, and cheapness) into a new domain in sewing: swim suits. Midway through the summer, Olivia's swimming suit died - one day the lycra just decided it had had enough, and we walked away from the pool with Olivia's swim shirt drooping past her knees.

At that point, I could have bought her a new swimming suit, but everything in stores needs to be altered anyway to fit her 4T length and 18 month girth (no, that is not an exaggeration). I've heard there are stores that carry slim sizes, but I didn't have time to order and have it get here before the end of the summer, and I didn't want to pay that much.

Instead I went, armed with a 50% off coupon, to Joann's. Their selection of swimsuit fabric wasn't great (I'll buy online next time), but they did have pink, which is always satisfactory to Olivia. A couple of hours later, I had a suit that actually fit my daughter and with which we were both pleased. I based the pattern on Carmen's swim bottoms (made slightly smaller) and one of Olivia's nightgowns. I love that she's covered on top for modesty and sun-safety, but it still looks like a swimsuit (and it's a two-piece, so she can put it on and go to the bathroom by herself!) And I love that the bottoms actually fit her!



Altogether, I probably spent $6 and 3 hours on the suit (shopping included). Will I do it again? Absolutely. (But maybe not next year, because I already found some next-year clearance suits for $4.)

5 comments:

A Roper said...

Can I hire you to alter Rose's clothes????? :) We have the same problem. Bleh. Summers work out okay, but once the winter hits---she's in trouble. She either has to wear high wadders to fit her waste, or wear the right length and have them fall down to her knees.

Ashley said...

Absolutely cute! I hate the way the collars are made on those sun-protecting suite tops. Olivia's is so much cuter! While size is never an issue with Robyn (she's wearing size 4/5) sometimes we sacrifice cuteness for functionality. You've got both!

MissRissa said...

Amber that's awesome!!! I should have tried that, we have the same problem with Cambry's clothes. I actually stood in target and contemplated switching the 4t bottoms with the 24 month bottoms but keeping the 4 t shirt (I didn't). Olivia is too cute!

joyous said...

Wow! That turned out super cute! I love it! You could go into business and charge at least $30 for that suit. (That's a pretty good profit margin!) Or keep your Mommy job and just have the cutest dressed kids. :)

Catherine said...

Adorable suit! You could start your own line - Amber's Amazing Beach Wear (or, I'm sure you could come up with something more creative). Love it!