Monday, January 26, 2009

Awww

Last week I had to get up early to go to a doctor's appointment. I looked like this:



After showering, I went in to get Olivia. She looked like this:



All cuddled up with her blankie, and with her little feet curled up together...I wanted to wake her up, but I just couldn't. I left the door open and she woke up in just a few minutes, but even that made me sad.

This is week 37 for Baby Girl and me, which means that she could come any time. Olivia showed up a week before her due date, and that's kind of what I'm shooting for again. I've been alternating between feeling pretty comfortable where I am in this pregnancy, and feeling not so comfortable at all.

The whole concept of delivering another independently living creature into the world is so incredible. I'm very excited to meet her.

And, while I'm talking about pregnancy, here are a couple of my dirty little pregnancy secrets. Don't tell my OB, now.

* I don't take "prenatal vitamins." Those things are huge, like horse pills, and I just don't like swallowing them. Instead, I eat fruity-flavored children's chewable vitamins (plus folic acid) and make sure I have a balanced diet. It worked with Olivia, and it's worked with this baby - I've never had a checkup or a test that found anything lacking with my system. I figure it's better for me to take something that I actually feel inclined to take than grudgingly force myself to swallow vitamins that I hate and am tempted to forget about. So, when my doctor asks if I'm taking my prenatal vitamins, I just think, "Well, I'm prenatal, and they're vitamins," and say, "Yes. Yes I am."

* I think it's fun to give my baby "earthquakes" every once in a while - just jiggle her up to make her move. I've also noticed that she responds when I scratch my belly, and then I like to scratch her little feet-bumps.

* I believe in going jogging to induce labor. My mom's getting here on February 7th, upon which you may expect to see a big belly in little red running shorts doing a fast waddle all over Humble.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Heh. A fast waddle.

Beth said...

Sweet! I hate my prenatal vitamins, too!!! I always have to be sure I eat first, or they'll make me throw up. I am a believer in my iron pill, because without it I want to faint all over the place. Not so with my vitamin.

Those chewy kind are yummy!!!

Victoria Blanchard said...

You both look so cute!

Rachel Helps said...

^ agreed.

Anonymous said...

My calcium pill is way bigger than my prenatal. I like my prenatal. And Andy takes them too when he's feeling sick, because we have no other vitamins in the house.

maugers said...

I'm excited for your new little one too! I think jogging to induce is just fine...I had another way that worked great. Although mine were never early, so maybe it doesn't work that great :)
I STILL have to take prenatal vitamins, so I've gotten used to them. I guess my other medication takes out vitamins...so as long as I'm at "child-bearing" age.
I wonder if your OB knows who she's dealing with? Maybe we should give her a glimpse with a blog entry :)

Unknown said...

I had to laugh when I read your thinking in response to the prenatal vitamins question. Classic way of dissection!

Chulitamaya said...

Whether you choose to take prenatal vitamins or not, as long as you have a well-balanced meal, and try to get the best nourishment you can. Your baby will thank you for it!