Friday, May 29, 2009

...and influencing people

Lately I've been a little preoccupied with having friends. Or maybe just more aware that I haven't been as friendly or socially involved as I might like to be.

I say "might" because on one hand, maintaining friendships requires a certain time commitment, and the idea of adopting another time commitment gives me premature stress. But it also feels really good to have someone who you mutually like and can call to do stuff.

...

I'm having a hard time articulating what I want to say here, so I'm going to put in some bullets. These are not in any good order. If I were going to be a better writer I would use adjust their order and turn them into an essay, but right now if I planned on doing that then I would never post (my baby-free time is limited), and you'd have less blog to be entertained by.
  • Thank you all for reading my blog, and occasionally commenting. It makes me feel good, and I like staying in touch.
  • It seems like a good formula for couple-friends for us, using Couples A and B, is that AM and BF were previously platonic friends.
  • I would like to be friends with anyone who wants to be friends with me.
  • Lately I feel like I've been in a stage of insecurity. I think it has something to do with my feeling unattractive and needing a haircut, having a stuttering problem, and generally needing to improve my conversation skills.
  • I also need to clean my house, but that's neither here nor there.
  • I am lucky to have at least three best friends: a brilliant and handsome man who is better for me than anyone I could have hoped for, the cutest and yakkingest toddler alive, and a fat, funny baby who gurgles and coos and makes me feel loved.

14 comments:

Rachel Helps said...

um, I think you're cool.

Chelsea said...

Hey, that's MY list :) I'm hoping bullet number four is just a phase...for both of us. I like staying in touch, too, so don't get lost again. I missed you!

Victoria Blanchard said...

Glad we're friends still, even though it's kind of limited to blogging. It's amazing what a good haircut can do. I'm dying for one myself.

Ashley said...

Thanks for stopping by yesterday! And, I must say even Hunter loves the Tutu (though, he wears it on his head). I love being your friend ! I love your blog! I think you speak/write more eloquently the many people I know. You're the best Amber!

Unknown said...

We still read your blog all the time. :)

A Roper said...

I think being a stay-at-home mom is hard socially---especially as you have more kids. It becomes very difficult to leave the house, and you just get busier and busier. :) I have found that having a weekly park playgroup with the moms in our ward has SAVED me! If your ward doesn't have one, I'd try to start one.

LOVE YOU!

amanda said...

hey i'll be your friend and you can come over anytime you want! I always love company!

Beth said...

hehe, this reminded me of something that the kids I work with say a lot. "Are you my fwiend?/ Will you be my fwiend?" or, when in a bad mood, "You're NOT my fwiend!!"

I'll be your friend!

maugers said...

I actually just read an article about how we not only need to have a clean home, well groomed children, and listen to operas daily...along with scripture memorizing and homemade bread... that we also needed to look good. Sometimes it's just too much! I'll be your friend when you never shower, never clean, and never cook... you're fun :)

Unknown said...

Your "neither here nor there" comment about your house made me laugh out loud:) My house is also in a general state of limbo! I know we've only had like 3 real conversations over the course of the last five years but I'm still signing on as your friend! You amuse me greatly, and not in a toddler-throwing-peaches-at-my-head kind of wayso that's a winner in my book:) Plus your kids look like dolls come to life:)

Emily said...

I think we can all relate to this list...especially number 4.
PS. I'm enjoying your updates, and, um, I want to stay your friend.

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

well, my house is ALWAYS spotless, and my postpartum body is SMOKIN' HOT, my haircut is definitely not overgrown, and i have no problem at all getting out and being friendly, so i guess we have nothing in common anymore, and we can't be friends. by that i mean, AMEN! you're wonderful, and i would kill to live closer to you.

Christa Jeanne said...

I, for one, am absolutely delighted that you blog because I missed you!!! You're fabulous, Amber. And I know you weren't fishing for compliments, but still - you are truly fantastic and awesome, and I'm so glad our paths crossed. Don't disappear again, k?

Hindmarsh Family said...

I know that you are not "fishing" for friends. I have to admit that I feel very much the same way that you do. This move has been hard on me. I had a tight knit cirlce of friends in my last ward. When I moved here I started having so many problems with my pregnancy it was very lonely. I know that I don't get out much... even to church sometimes. I want to let you know though, that even though I haven't known you very long, I appreciate the time you spend talking with me at my son's piano lessons. I enjoy chatting with you at church and on the phone. I love to hold your baby and watch you interact with your daughters. I consider you a friend... I do hope to get to know you better and hope that next year when school starts and I am only home with a baby that I will be more social and we can spend more time together.
You are so fun and relaxed... if you can wait for me to get out of bedrest and have a baby... I promise I will be a better friend!
Monica