Monday, April 27, 2009

Classic parenting moment of the day

I just got back from the grocery store. Both girls were really good while we were there, but on the trip home Carmen started to get hungry and fussy. As I unloaded the girls, Olivia observed, "Carmen's crying." I said, "Yes, can you help her feel better while I unload the groceries?"

As I was putting perishables in the fridge, I could hear Olivia using her usual comforting techniques: offering Carmen toys and saying, "That's okay, Carmen." Carmen, uncomforted, continued to fuss.

When I had finally finished and was walking over to get Carmen out, I could tell that Olivia had reached the end of her rope with Carmen's fussing.

"Hey," she snapped at her. "That's not appropriate."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been wondering if I could use that line with Jane. Obviously 2-year-olds can understand "inappropriate" after all. I've tried "disrespectful" and "rude" (just twice for that one because I didn't like the way it sounded coming out of my mouth), but mainly just "no, no no." That's what she lectures to Audrey. And she raises her finger like I do. Was Olivia doing that? Funny little girls :)

amanda said...

that is sooo cute! I am glad you wrote it down! You will love to look back and laugh at that moment!

woolspinner said...

It is positively eerie to hear your own words coming out of your children's mouths.

Kathy said...

Very funny. Gideon said to Eden the other day "You are being a bad example for Larke."