Friday, April 3, 2009

A Taxing Ordeal

I know, I know...how many people have used that lame pun? Well, one more, evidently.

Today was a big day for pushing money around. This morning Carmen brought Olivia and me along with her to the furniture store so that we could finally buy Mommy and Daddy some bedroom furniture. This purchase had been put off for some time because we couldn't find something we both liked the look of that was also good quality, and for a good price.

We finally found something we agreed on as far as look and quality, and I went to the store prepared to haggle, but the salespeople were unbending. So, the question was whether we should look around some more (ugh), or just bite the bullet and spend more than we wanted to. The bullet was bitten. When she handed me the receipt, the saleswoman said, "There, that was easy, right? Painless?" Hardly. My only comfort was that at least the price had included entertainment for Olivia in the form of multiple rides up and down the escalators. (Seriously, about 20 times.)

Yes, the escalator rides WERE my only source of comfort...until nap time, when I finished doing our taxes! Thanks mostly to our massive itemized deduction, Uncle Sam is giving us a nice big chunk of money back. (We do have to pay $8 to Brother Brigham, however.) Ah, money.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

I really liked getting our tax refund, too. I've heard all the blah blah about loaning Uncle Sam your money interest-free, but it's still so nice to find out you get money you didn't know you had.

maugers said...

OH, I hate furniture shopping. I always end up getting an "Ok" piece because of the price, and DAve and I can't really agree either on style. I thought that when you finally got relief would be when you got to USE your bedroom set :) But Taxes make it so much better :) OH, email me and send me your address to I can mail you your thingy kendrarozeski@yahoo.com